Going away this summer?
This time of year often sees many going away for a summer break. Warwickshire Police would like to offer the following advice to keep your home safe during this time.
- Make your home look like someone’s in. Don’t close your curtains as this shows the house is empty.
- Ask someone you trust to draw curtains at night and to remove post from behind your front door.
- Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries.
- Use automatic timer-switches to turn lights on when it goes dark.
- Check that all doors and windows are locked.
- Don't leave spare keys outside, or in a garage or shed, and put car keys or garage keys out of sight in the house.
- Use timers for radios if you need to be away from home overnight. They will create the impression that someone is in.
- Activate burglar alarms.
- Join your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
- Install external lights. They will deter the criminal who wishes to work undetected.
- Be a good neighbour.
If you see anyone acting suspiciously around a property you know to be empty, call the police.