The “ Real” Picture of Crime and Disorder in North Warwickshire
Since becoming the Inspector responsible for the Safer Neighbourhood Police Teams In North Warwickshire I have been truly impressed at the commitment of the local community and our partner agencies to work with the Police to tackle crime and disorder and to make North Warwickshire an even safer place to live. I have, however noted that within certain groups of the community there is a very real fear of crime, which is affecting peoples lives. A sensible and proportionate fear of crime is good common sense as it encourages us to use sensible precautions such as locking our houses and joining Neighbourhood Watch.
However, because I think that there is a disproportionate fear of crime in some areas I thought that now would be a good opportunity to share some facts about the true picture of Crime in your area. These are not statistics being manipulated to prove a point they are facts which I hope may go some way to putting the fear of crime into perspective.
· Warwickshire is one of the safest and lowest crime areas in the Country. Within Warwickshire the North Warwickshire Borough has traditionally been and remains one of the lowest crime areas.
· North Warwickshire has over 26,000 households and yet over the year there is still less than one house burgled every day.
· With a population of over 61,900 people there is still an average of only two violent incidents reported every day. This is particularly noteworthy when you consider that many violent crimes are committed within family and friendship groups. The chances of being assaulted by a stranger in an unprovoked attack are minimal.
· North Warwickshire has the lowest level of reported vehicle crimes in Warwickshire with an average of twelve a week. This figure is low particularly when you consider the presence of two motorway service stations and the number of hotels in North Warwickshire. These locations are traditionally places where cars get broken into.
· On average North Warwickshire has six anti social behaviour incidents reported each day, again the lowest level in Warwickshire.
· Two Criminal Damage offences are reported each day, again this is the lowest level in Warwickshire.
· Robbery is an offence, which, rightly so, causes significant concern in communities. I know that recent incidents have been the cause of great anxiety locally however in the whole of North Warwickshire there is still less than one robbery taking place each week.
Warwickshire Police are not complacent and will continue to do all they can to reduce these low crime levels even further. If you have any information about crime in North Warwickshire I would urge anyone to contact their SNT or by phoning 101.
Because some people may wish to report information anonymously I would suggest that people contact Crimestoppers which is a non-Police charity organisation where information can been given in complete anonymity via telephone on 0800 555 111.Or on line at WWW.crimestoppers-uk/org
Safer Neighbourhoods Inspector North Warwickshire